T-34-85 – troop designation last modification Soviet medium tank T-34 with the gun caliber 85 mm. Adopted by the Red Army GKO decree number 5020 cc, from 23 January 1944
Designed based on serial T-34, the sample 1943 g. Installation 85mm cannon and constructive improvements significantly increased combat effectiveness of the tank T-34-85, compared with T-34-76.
New tower enlarged volume with reinforced armor protection, structurally similar experimental tower tank T-43. Improved overall The security of the crew (5 persons), improved conditions for interoperability of the crew. Indicators mobility (rapidity, flexibility and permeability) of the T-34-85, as a result of increasing its combat weight decreased slightly.
Since 1944 Mr T-34-85 was the “core” tank RKKA in WWII
In 1943, due to the massive appearance of the Germans new models of armored vehicles with reinforced armor, efficiency 76.2 mm guns become dramatically insufficient.
By taking on the final tank armament modified T-34-85, all serial T34 tanks prior editions (samples 1940 ÷ 1943.) Gave a single designation T-34-76. Unlike its predecessor T-34-76, T-34-85, C-gun with 53 (ZIS-S-53) had a three-local tower larger size (diameter of the ring is increased from 1420 to 1600 mm), which increased the volume the crew compartment, put a more powerful gun, additional crew members and release the tank commander from the role of a gunner, to better coordinate the actions of the crew.
The first T-34-85 tanks, construction of the plant number 112, “Red Sormovo”, with the D-5T gun, had a double tower, slightly different structurally from the tower of the development of the plant number 183. The gun D-5T take up much space, it is not possible to place additional charging.